Spain Residency
  • Residence Visa for Non-Lucrative Purposes

Spain has become one of the most popular places for immigration today. Due to its emerging economy and requirement of high-skilled labor, Spain is welcoming talented people from all over the world with convenient immigration options. 

Details of immigration in Spain: Initially Spain used to have immigrants mostly from the European and African countries owing to similar culture and lifestyle. However, nowadays non-EU immigrants are also increasingly moving to Spain in search of better job opportunities and to get Permanent Residence Permit Spain.

Application for temporary non-profit residence authorization is made in two phases. First, the person must apply for the visa at the Spanish Consulate in his country of origin or in the country where he resides legally and then, once granted the visa, the foreigner must enter Spanish territory and process the Temporary non-profit residence in the Foreign Office or the corresponding police station.

Non lucrative visa is an authorization that allows residing in Spain temporarily without the need to carry out work or professional activities. The foreigner must apply for the visa personally in the Spanish Consulate in his country of origin or in the country in which he has legal residence.

Once notified to the applicant the granting of the visa must collect personally in the Consular Office within a maximum period of one month, otherwise it will be understood that he / she waives it. It will have a validity of three months, term in which the person must enter the Spanish territory.

  • Residency requirement for applying Permanent Residence Permit Spain

If a person is staying in Spain for more than five years, then he or she can apply for a permanent residency permit whereas if the duration of stay exceeds beyond ten years, then one can apply for Spanish nationality.

Permanent Residency Vs Spanish Citizenship: Although getting a permanent residence permit Spain or Spanish nationality allow a person to enjoy more or less same benefits within Spain, yet, they differ in some ways as given under:

•  In case of a permanent residence permit Spain, an immigrant can maintain the original nationality and passport while still getting a chance to settle in Spain, provided he or she can be financially self-sufficient.

•             Movement to EU countries will be possible for certain periods and if required, one can extend the duration of stay by taking prior permission as well. The facilities are almost the same like that of a normal Spanish citizen.

•             If a person has stayed legally in Spain for continuously for five years, then he or she can apply for what is known as ‘EU long-term residence permit’ where one can stay in Spain and work for as long as he or she wishes to stay along with having the chance to enjoy all kinds of social services and benefits in Spain.

• For getting Spanish citizenship however, one has to completely sacrifice his or her original nationality and passport.

•             The rights, duties and benefits in this case are similar to that of a Spanish citizen and one can move around EU countries freely without the necessity of any permission. Moreover, the concerned person can also vote in the European elections as well if he or she attains a permanent Spanish citizenship.

•             In this case however, it is important to prove a person ‘a good Spanish citizen’ without any criminal track record so that the authorized officials are convinced enough to give Spanish citizenship.

•             An individual should get completely intermingled with the Spanish culture and local people to make a good Spanish citizen in the future.

Different kinds of Spanish Visas

A person has to apply for different kinds of Schengen Visa in Spain based on the purpose of visit. Some of the most common types of visas include:

• Spanish Tourist Schengen Visa,

• Spain Visa for business purposes,

• Spain Visa for medical purposes,

• Spain Visa for cultural, sports, film crew or religious purposes,

• Spain Visa for members of official delegations,

• Spain Visa for training, Research or any kind of internship programs,

• Spain Visa for wife/husband of a Spanish citizen,

• Spanish Airport Transit Visa,

• Spain Visa for Under-Age children.

  • Non Lucrative Visa Spain

Retirees or others who have the financial means to support themselves without working can apply for residence in Spain for non-lucrative purposes. To qualify, applicant must show that he/she has the means to support herself/himself and any dependents without working. The official monthly minimum income is €3,000 for an individual and €600.00 for each dependent. However, the actual minimum income applicant need to show will depend on where he/she choose to live (and how expensive that destination is). Spanish Immigration will determine this.

In addition, citizens of non-EU countries must show proof of private health insurance valid in Spain. Other requirements include a valid application form, a certificate of good conduct issued by the police in the city (or cities) where applicant lived over the past five years, and a medical report, among other things.

Applicant must submit all the required documents to his/her nearest Spanish embassy or consulate in person, and by previous appointment.

Processing of application may take up to three months. After the application has been approved, applicant has one month to collect his/her entry visa from the consulate and then has three months to enter Spain. Initial visas are for one year.

  • Non Lucrative Visa Spain Process and Steps

1. Complete application forms.

2. Passport valid for a minimum of 6 months.

3. 2 recent passport photos, passport size with white background.

4. Financial proof. This is the most important requirement for this type of visa. Applicant must bring documents showing that he/she has enough money.  For 1st person is 3,000 Euros per month, and for each additional family member is 600 euro per month. So for a year applicant must show he has at least 36000 Euro in his bank account and for each additional family member it should be 7200 Euro for a year.

This amount of money can be show either in bank accounts, savings or investments – to be able to live in Spain without earning money.

6.In case that applicant is going as a dependent, he/she must bring a marriage certificate (spouse) and birth certificates (children). These documents need to be translated into Spanish and once translated they must have The Hague Apostille.

7. Address in Spain – If you have already a place to live or a lease agreement, you should support your application with any documents you may have. If not, list the nearest city to your intended location like hotel.

8. Health Insurance. Proof of health insurance coverage while in Spain. Travel medical insurance with a minimum coverage of 30,000 Euros

7. Police Record. Certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of the city or cities in which the applicant has spent 6 months or more during the last year. This document needs to be translated into Spanish and once translated it must have The Hague Apostille.

8. Medical Certificate typed on doctors stationary verifying that the applicant is in good physical and mental health and free of any contagious illness. This document needs to be translated into Spanish and once translated it must have The Hague Apostille.

9. The visa fee (exact cash only).